Thursday, February 2, 2012

Neal-Schuman ugly code

The image is bad because I don't have time to scan the ad, so I'm just holding it up to the camera. This is about as much effort as I feel Neal-Schuman Publishers put into their QR code plan.
Scan the code on this ad page and it takes you to, surprise, http://www.neal-schuman.com. Which is a regular web page and not-at-all mobile-friendly.

This is idiotic, since the ad where the code appears is for "The Tech Set" of books with titles like, Building Mobile Library Applications, you mean like a mobile web site? or do they just ignore the site development and jump directly into apps?

There's nothing suckier than having some app or mobile link dump me onto a site or application that looks ugly on my phone.

And Ugly is unusable in the mobile world.

It's not like I'm making this up. Every marketing site out there will tell you that a code is wasted if it does not enhance the user experience. How long does it take to make a simple front end to welcome the mobile user? It doesn't need to say much. In this case, N-S has a marquee frame on the top of their page with 5 large clickable areas that could have made a great place for a mobile user to land. And then you can give me the option to visit the full site.

Don't make a code just because everyone else is. Make it because you have something to share. I bet that's in one of your books somewhere.

Don't get me wrong; not every site needs to be mobile-friendly. But when a freakin' pre-cooked meat company (see Curly's review) can arrange for a mobile site, then I'm starting to think that pretty much everyone should.

No comments:

Post a Comment