Monday, February 13, 2012

QR Code Magazine Check

Some people still don't know what QR codes are. Ideally, a QR code is used on a printed page or even a web page. So it's disappointing when I look through current magazines and find only a few codes inside.

Now, think about the situation when someone is reading a magazine or newspaper. They are probably reading in a chair or on the couch or someplace where it's comfortable to sit. They could also be browsing at a bookstore or on the street at a news stand. But I don't imagine that they are in front of a computer. It's not convenient to open a magazine near a computer because of the limited space.

So it's easy to imagine that someone would be reading in a space not directly next to a computer.

So why don't more companies use QR codes to connect with readers in their print advertising? If I'm reading an article and I see some message like "visit our website for more information," I know that I'm probably going to forget to make that effort later. Or even worse, "Like us on Facebook," which means I have to get to a computer and sign into my Facebook account to Like you because I'm not typing that string into my phone.

But if I have my phone with me, I can tap the app to open it and scan the code to see what it is they want to show me. I'm not going to type a web address in my phone because I'm lazy, but I might tap and scan.

So here is a survey of a few current magazines and the codes I found inside:

M Music & Musicians, December 2011
I grabbed this one from the shelf because I thought that music would be a great area for using QR codes to connect readers with performance video clips or track downloads. But that's not the case with this issue. I found 4 codes for different musical instruments and mixing equipment.

Guns & Ammo, March 2012
There are 6 codes in this issue for pistols, rifles, ammo. I don't know what it is about gun manufacturers, but it must really sell product to show a video of some guy shooting the crap out of tree stump.

Esquire, February 2012
There's a code right on the cover, in front of Bill Clinton's crotch. Point your phone at it; you know he would want that. Do you think the editors made a conscious choice to place it there?

There's also a code inside the magazine for bourbon, but that's it. I don't know; with so many interviews and photos and how-tos in Esquire, you'd think a link to additional web content like video of the interviews or more fashion photos would be a bonus selling point.

Entrepreneur, February 2012
FTW! An article on QR codes is on p. 56. Awesome. And 9 codes inside. And the one on p. 79 for School of Rock uses a code in the shape of a guitar. Super cool. There's got to be a QR code texture out there that makes it easier to fit your code inside of a logo or design. I'm going to google "QR code background texture" right now. ... but I bet there's a way to add the right amount of noise in Photoshop...

No comments:

Post a Comment